Friday, January 4, 2013

MarWencol



Mark Hogancamp setting up a photoshoot.


My friend Mark Hogancamp lives down the street from me and he also happens to be a celebrity. Two summers ago I visited him with my friend and we were treated to two hours of fun! Normally I wouldn't endorse knocking on a stranger's door and asking for a tour of their house, even if they are a celebrity, but this time it worked out perfectly. Mark is a photographer. He photographs his family. His family happens to be made up of action figures and dolls. He has built an amazing town in his very own backyard called Marwencol. Marwencol and Mark have their own documentary, Marwencol, which I HIGHLY recommend. I've watched it several times and it never gets old.
When we visited, Mark was wearing boxer shorts and pink toenail polish. We got to see photographs that the public hadn't seen before and we got a tour of his house and Marwencol and his collection of lady's shoes. He has over 200 pairs of women's shoes. He's a size eight and a half.
Usually I wouldn't be that interested in war photography, but his photographs are BEAUTIFUL, you guys.
Get to know his story. He is one of the most inspiring and nicest and most open people that I've ever met.
I would rate Mark and Marwencol 10 stars Must-See.

Check out the official Marwencol site here:
http://www.marwencol.com/

And a special site shown to us by Mark:
http://members.tripod.com/~ultimate_soldier/


The girl with the blue hair is Deja. We got to smell her. She is very beautiful.

6 comments:

  1. Such an interesting artist. He really is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Mark very personally. Mark IS an incredibly nice guy. A little too nice, sometimes. For example, he would never show his real feelings about how it feels to have strangers show up unannounced at his door, even if they are well-intentioned fans. The fact is, it stresses and freaks him out to no end. It can throw off his routine and concentration for his work for days on end. Yes, please see the film and support this amazing human being through his gallery and the documentary director's website. But please, please DON'T seek him out and "drop in" on him. Please don't scan Kingston trailer parks for miniature towns in the backyard and tiptoe up to point and take pics. If you would like to meet him, go to One Mile Gallery openings. He attends almost all of them. Please don't show up on his doorstep. Imagine how it would make you feel. The fella deserves his privacy - he's been through enough. I don't mean to scold, that's not my intention, I just want to protect the fella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Kat very personally. Kat IS an incredibly nice person and would never stalk, scan , tiptoe up to or "drop in" on anybody, let alone Mark. She is very sensitive to people's feelings and extremely polite - so polite, in fact, that she is not the one responding to you. Kat does live down the road from him and was invited in to see his work. Also, she is very careful about not letting people know where she is located and protects other people's privacy, as well. So she would never have mentioned which city this was near, as you did. I don't mean to scold, I just want to protect this lovely young lady.

      Delete
  3. Daria,
    Mark is a neighbor; I think you misunderstood the nature of the meeting I described. But your concern for his
    privacy is appreciated.
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is Mark the guy who chain smokes all the way down creek -----s?

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments you guys!