Sunday, June 10, 2012

Antoinette Perry Is In The House, Y'all



 In honor on The TONY Awards, which are on TONIGHT (It's the biggest night of the year. Duh. Hello?), I will review My Favorite Musical Of All Time Which Also Happens to be Nominated For a TONY Tonight: Follies.

Follies has everything a person (or at least I) could ever want in a musical: Sparkle!, Dazzle!, Ladies of a Certain Age!, Glamour! And behind the rich, haunting, most depressing story you'll ever watch is a BRILLIANT score by my All Time Idol, Stephen Sondheim.

Isn't he a CutiePatootie?
The score includes the beautiful love ballad, Losing My Mind, which was turned into a disco tune by Liza Minnelli. Does it get any better than this?


Follies is about retired showgirls coming back to their theater for a reunion party. Depression and Glitter ensues.



I've gotten to see a few versions of Follies including the current revival that is nominated tonight. It did not disappoint! Follies has never won a TONY award and I think it is time!!!!!!!!!!! Follies was the first musical that I was completely Obsessed with. My mom has heard me perform the entire thing too many times. In case you want to own this gem my favorite recorded version has to be the Papermill Playhouse recording. It is complete! Although the Original Broadway Cast has its perks too. Yvonne De Carlo, for example:



 The Original also has the kickassyest poster:


 Gotta Go! The TONYs are starting!!

Buy the Original HERE!!! Or the NEW cast HERE!!!! Or my Favorite version HERE!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I LOVE comments you guys!